Skip to main content

THE IMPORTANCE OF MOTIVATION

In the world of health and wellness coaching, setting goals is an important factor. Everyone has a goal.

“I want to lose 20 pounds.”

“I want to run a 5K.”

“I want to fit into my skinny jeans again.”

“I want to play with my kids and not feel like I got the wind knocked out of me.”

And while having a goal and figuring out the best way to accomplish that goal is important, one of the most overlooked steps in goal setting is MOTIVATION.

WHY do you want to accomplish this goal? What is the reason you want to change?

As a health coach, my job is to help clients understand that WHY. We concentrate on tying together the overall vision you have for your future self to the lifestyle changes you are seeking now.

And are the reasons you are pursuing this goal STRONG enough to keep you on track?

Having strong motivators is important because there are ALWAYS going to be obstacles, challenges and setbacks in your health and wellness journey. Life happens and things are going to come along to derail your progress.

My personal example is that over the weekend I tweaked my knee and have been experiencing pain, swelling, and stiffness. Not enough to send me to the hospital or put me on crutches, but enough that it’s been “talking” to me when I move too fast or in a way it doesn’t like.

This has put a MAJOR kink in my exercise goals. Getting out and briskly walking for cardio has been on hold for the last few days.

BUT….

My motivation to continue my weight loss and health journey is STRONG. I’ve been more careful about what I’m eating, and I’m trying to add seated exercises into my day (and yes, that’s actually a thing – seated exercise routines).

By staying focused on solutions and possibilities, goals can still be accomplished if the motivation is there.

A good place to start is to ask yourself a couple of questions:

What is important to you about this goal?

What is driving you to accomplish this goal?

What results are you looking for?

Motivation can be broken down into 2 categories – Intrinsic Motivation and Extrinsic Motivation.

Intrinsic is being motivated by personal or inner factors. Extrinsic is being motivated by external factors. An example of Intrinsic Motivation would be running a 5K just for the satisfaction of knowing you completed the race or running it to support a charitable cause. An Extrinsic Motivation would be running the same 5K for the purpose of getting a medal to display on your wall.

Neither type of motivation is better or worse than the other, but studies have shown that people who are INTRINSICALLY motivated are more likely to accomplish their goals than those who are Extrinsically motivated.

While I have several Intrinsic Motivators to keep me going on my personal journey (helping my husband, helping my family and friends, helping my community and others), I also have Extrinsic Motivators too (certain clothes I would like to wear, and most importantly, winning a bet I made with my younger brother!!!)

The key is not necessarily which form of motivation you rely on, but WILL THAT MOTIVATION GET YOU TO THE FINISH LINE?

While I find it personally and internally satisfying to help other people, there is nothing like good old sibling rivalry to push me that extra step to reach my goals. And that’s why I’ve been able to cut back on the junk food, stick to my meal plan, and add ANY extra movement (excluding things involving my knee) to help me win that bet!

(And I may have also encouraged my sister-in-law to keep feeding my brother extra cheesecake every night!)

Whatever your circumstances, it’s not only important to BE motivated to accomplish your goals, it is equally (or more so) important to understand WHY you want to accomplish your goals. Understanding the WHY will help you be even MORE motivated to stay the course and reach your health and wellness goal.

Until next time….

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT TO DO WHEN CREATING HEALTHY HABITS BECOMES A CHALLENGE

As you’re working on your health, wellness, or nutrition journey, you’re going to face daily challenges. It happens. Obstacles. Setbacks. Faltering Motivation. Resistance. It’s frustrating to hit a roadblock. But hopefully some of the tips compiled here will help you navigate around these challenges and continue on your way to a healthier you. Focus on Your Behaviors, Not Your Outcomes .  I know I’ve talked about this before, but it’s actually a critical step of creating healthy habits. Outcomes vary. If you’re trying to lose 10 pounds, but the scale hasn’t moved past 5 pounds, it’s easy to get caught up in the number on the scale and fail to give yourself credit for the habits you’re creating like riding your bike 4 times per week, cooking healthier meals at home, and losing inches from around your waist. It’s important to praise and celebrate each habit you do, rather than only giving yourself credit when you hit a certain milestone, like the number on the scale. Take a...

NAMING THE PROBLEM

I love working with clients. I love walking them through the process of their health concerns, what their goals are, and how those goals can be achieved. But there is inevitably a glitch in the process where clients get stuck. For me, as well, when I’m working on my own personal goals. They hit a point where they feel like they’ve stalled in their progress. Or they feel like they don’t know where to start. Or how to navigate through an issue. And when these obstacles happen, the secret ingredient that health coaches use to help clients through these barriers is to Name The Problem . In my own personal experience, I have a tendency to get overwhelmed when I’ve made a goal too big. I get sucked into the vastness of the “forest” and I struggle to recognize the individual “trees” around me. For example, let’s say you’ve set a goal to “ Eat Healthier” . That is a very broad goal, and it could cover hundreds (if not thousands) of options. But you’ve made some changes that work for yo...

A BUSY MOMS CAUTIONARY TALE: SPORTS MOM EDITION

I had a conversation with a friend the other day, and it got my brain stuck on this topic, so I thought I’d write it out today. I’ve always had kids who were into sports. From the time my sons were 4 years old (and they just graduated from college), until now with my daughter in her senior year of high school. A large majority of my friends also have kids in sports. Recently, our coaches have been talking to the players, as well as their parents, about nutrition. The players are running out of fuel for their bodies long before their events have ended. The result has been kids getting quite sick in one way or another during or immediately after their event. The majority of the issues are coming from a lack of proper nutrition and a lack of hydration. The coaches are taking it all VERY seriously, and have taken a lot of steps to help remedy this situation. The conversation with my friend brought up this point (which is the one that stuck with me), as we were discussing how much ...