Skip to main content

I’m Going to Tell You the SECRET No One in the Fitness Industry Wants You to Hear….

Got your attention?

Okay. 

Now that I’ve gotten the theatrics out of the way, I really am going to tell you the “secret”. 

This applies to most, BUT NOT ALL, cases of people who are trying to lose weight, deal with medical issues, overall health, living longer, etc. Pretty much anything health related.

WHAT YOU’RE EATING HAS A GREATER EFFECT ON YOUR OVERALL HEALTH THAN ANYTHING ELSE YOU DO.

I managed to get myself into a debate on social media, which was unintentional and not meant to be disrespectful. But RESPECTFULLY, I completely disagreed with their stance that food and weight loss do not have an impact on health conditions. 

Health risks related to diet. 

Nutritional Deficiencies.

Is exercise important? Yes, it is. 

But you can be very active, eat terribly, and deal with all kinds of health issues. Or be active, but still overweight because of eating too much sugar, fat, salt, or too many calories overall, and have NO health issues (high blood pressure or cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, etc.). 

I’ve said it before and I’ll keep on saying it because I think it’s important….your health and wellness is UNIQUE and INDIVIDUAL to YOU! What works for me is not necessarily going to work for you, and vice versa. All bodies are different. And there is nothing wrong with that!

But the food you eat affects your health, all the way down to the cellular level. 

That’s why my focus for 2025 is going to be nutrition. Both Personally and Professionally.

I’m not here to demonize Twinkies, Pop-Tarts, or French Fries. But I’m going to tell you that you will get more nutritional value from air-frying or baking homemade Potato Wedges/Fries than from the French Fries at a fast-food restaurant or even from the freezer section of the grocery store.

And I get it….it’s HARD to feed yourself 24/7, 365. No one tells you that going into adulthood. It’s HARD to CONSTANTLY be working on healthy, nutritious foods day in and day out when those Pop Tarts are RIGHT THERE and so easy to just rip open the package.

But so is a banana. Or an apple. Or grapes.

Once again, I’m going to tell you the “secret”, and it’s not sexy or outrageous or anything else. If you can figure out correct portion sizes, cook at home more often than eating out (or bring healthy snacks with you), and use whole or minimally processed foods in 80%-90% of your daily/weekly meals, you WILL improve your health, lose weight, and possibly even halt or reverse CERTAIN medical conditions (heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, blood pressure, arthritis).

This is NOT a guarantee of being cured of diseases, or a guarantee of losing weight.

But Food as Medicine is gaining traction in the medical world, and because we live in a system that is designed to make unhealthy foods more appealing, easier to access, and are being marketed as “healthy”, it’s understandable that people are struggling.

So, that’s the “secret”. Eat healthier foods most of the time. Don’t think you have to eliminate ALL sugar, salt, fat, ultra-processed foods from your life. That would suck. Just cut back. Experiment with swaps and switches you can live with.

And give it time. A radical overhaul of your eating habits isn’t going to happen overnight. Start with the easiest thing you can and go from there. Maybe it’s focusing on portion control. Or if you’re on the go and don’t really have a choice, you get small fries instead of large, or skip them altogether. Grilled chicken sandwich instead of fried. Water instead of soda.

Then you make other small changes until you’re consistently making healthier choices.

It’s possible. Don’t give up.

And since it’s my birthday (at the time of this post), who wants FREE RECIPES???

There are 14 Healthy, Delicious Recipes here! I am especially obsessed with the Yogurt Parfaits with Homemade Granola! Check it out and ENJOY!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT TO DO WHEN CREATING HEALTHY HABITS BECOMES A CHALLENGE

As you’re working on your health, wellness, or nutrition journey, you’re going to face daily challenges. It happens. Obstacles. Setbacks. Faltering Motivation. Resistance. It’s frustrating to hit a roadblock. But hopefully some of the tips compiled here will help you navigate around these challenges and continue on your way to a healthier you. Focus on Your Behaviors, Not Your Outcomes .  I know I’ve talked about this before, but it’s actually a critical step of creating healthy habits. Outcomes vary. If you’re trying to lose 10 pounds, but the scale hasn’t moved past 5 pounds, it’s easy to get caught up in the number on the scale and fail to give yourself credit for the habits you’re creating like riding your bike 4 times per week, cooking healthier meals at home, and losing inches from around your waist. It’s important to praise and celebrate each habit you do, rather than only giving yourself credit when you hit a certain milestone, like the number on the scale. Take a...

A BUSY MOMS CAUTIONARY TALE: SPORTS MOM EDITION

I had a conversation with a friend the other day, and it got my brain stuck on this topic, so I thought I’d write it out today. I’ve always had kids who were into sports. From the time my sons were 4 years old (and they just graduated from college), until now with my daughter in her senior year of high school. A large majority of my friends also have kids in sports. Recently, our coaches have been talking to the players, as well as their parents, about nutrition. The players are running out of fuel for their bodies long before their events have ended. The result has been kids getting quite sick in one way or another during or immediately after their event. The majority of the issues are coming from a lack of proper nutrition and a lack of hydration. The coaches are taking it all VERY seriously, and have taken a lot of steps to help remedy this situation. The conversation with my friend brought up this point (which is the one that stuck with me), as we were discussing how much ...

NAMING THE PROBLEM

I love working with clients. I love walking them through the process of their health concerns, what their goals are, and how those goals can be achieved. But there is inevitably a glitch in the process where clients get stuck. For me, as well, when I’m working on my own personal goals. They hit a point where they feel like they’ve stalled in their progress. Or they feel like they don’t know where to start. Or how to navigate through an issue. And when these obstacles happen, the secret ingredient that health coaches use to help clients through these barriers is to Name The Problem . In my own personal experience, I have a tendency to get overwhelmed when I’ve made a goal too big. I get sucked into the vastness of the “forest” and I struggle to recognize the individual “trees” around me. For example, let’s say you’ve set a goal to “ Eat Healthier” . That is a very broad goal, and it could cover hundreds (if not thousands) of options. But you’ve made some changes that work for yo...