Skip to main content

A PERSONAL POST….

This has been a rough week. Lost a family member, and it was also my dad’s heavenly birthday. When it comes to emotional times like this, I would like to say that I am good at handling the emotions while sticking with my health and wellness goals.

Unfortunately, that isn’t the case.

I have always been an emotional eater. Something to celebrate? Eat. 

Bad day? Eat. 

Frustrated? You get the idea.

The day after I found out a member of my family had passed away, I binged on cookie dough and chips. And nachos. And chicken strips. And potato wedges.

Again, you get the idea.

But here’s the thing.

I’m admitting all this to you because even as a health coach, I’m still a human being who makes mistakes. I mess up. I let my emotions override my good judgment and even though I have done incredibly well at reaching my goals in the last couple of weeks, I “blew” all that by binging out in a moment of stress, pain, and tears.

As a health and nutrition coach, I know the benefits of eating healthy during emotional situations. I understand the chemical reactions in the brain that are released when you exercise.

The benefits of using “healthy” methods of coping with stress, grief, frustration, etc., are numerous and have been very well documented. Logically, we all KNOW it’s better for us to cope with our emotions in ways that don’t involve food.

But emotions are powerful and when you’re hurting, it can be really hard to care about sugars, fats, or calories period. You just want what tastes good and makes you feel better. The feeling miserable or actually physically sick afterward is simply the price you pay for those few moments of distraction.

All I can say is that these are the moments when you need to give yourself GRACE. A lot of grace. On top of the difficult emotions you’re already dealing with, don’t add beating yourself up to the list.

Accept the mistakes you made with your food choices and start over tomorrow. If all you manage is eating a piece of fruit in an otherwise non-nutritious day, then so be it. Then start over again the next day. And the next. You will get to the point where you ARE back on track.

It's okay to make mistakes on your journey. Setbacks, obstacles, challenges, and even completely giving up are all part of the process. It doesn't mean you "failed". It means you're picking up where you left off before things in your life went awry. 

Learning to deal with emotions without involving food is not an overnight situation, it takes time, and you CAN do it. 

Just give yourself the GRACE to keep going.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT TO DO WHEN CREATING HEALTHY HABITS BECOMES A CHALLENGE

As you’re working on your health, wellness, or nutrition journey, you’re going to face daily challenges. It happens. Obstacles. Setbacks. Faltering Motivation. Resistance. It’s frustrating to hit a roadblock. But hopefully some of the tips compiled here will help you navigate around these challenges and continue on your way to a healthier you. Focus on Your Behaviors, Not Your Outcomes .  I know I’ve talked about this before, but it’s actually a critical step of creating healthy habits. Outcomes vary. If you’re trying to lose 10 pounds, but the scale hasn’t moved past 5 pounds, it’s easy to get caught up in the number on the scale and fail to give yourself credit for the habits you’re creating like riding your bike 4 times per week, cooking healthier meals at home, and losing inches from around your waist. It’s important to praise and celebrate each habit you do, rather than only giving yourself credit when you hit a certain milestone, like the number on the scale. Take a...

NAMING THE PROBLEM

I love working with clients. I love walking them through the process of their health concerns, what their goals are, and how those goals can be achieved. But there is inevitably a glitch in the process where clients get stuck. For me, as well, when I’m working on my own personal goals. They hit a point where they feel like they’ve stalled in their progress. Or they feel like they don’t know where to start. Or how to navigate through an issue. And when these obstacles happen, the secret ingredient that health coaches use to help clients through these barriers is to Name The Problem . In my own personal experience, I have a tendency to get overwhelmed when I’ve made a goal too big. I get sucked into the vastness of the “forest” and I struggle to recognize the individual “trees” around me. For example, let’s say you’ve set a goal to “ Eat Healthier” . That is a very broad goal, and it could cover hundreds (if not thousands) of options. But you’ve made some changes that work for yo...

A BUSY MOMS CAUTIONARY TALE: SPORTS MOM EDITION

I had a conversation with a friend the other day, and it got my brain stuck on this topic, so I thought I’d write it out today. I’ve always had kids who were into sports. From the time my sons were 4 years old (and they just graduated from college), until now with my daughter in her senior year of high school. A large majority of my friends also have kids in sports. Recently, our coaches have been talking to the players, as well as their parents, about nutrition. The players are running out of fuel for their bodies long before their events have ended. The result has been kids getting quite sick in one way or another during or immediately after their event. The majority of the issues are coming from a lack of proper nutrition and a lack of hydration. The coaches are taking it all VERY seriously, and have taken a lot of steps to help remedy this situation. The conversation with my friend brought up this point (which is the one that stuck with me), as we were discussing how much ...