Skip to main content

What Is A Realistic Health, Weight Loss, or Nutrition Expectation?

As part of a group health coaching discussion, the topic of realistic expectations was brought up. Mainly, how does one KNOW what a realistic expectation is when it comes to weight loss, nutrition, or just improving your health in general?

And as with almost everything pertaining to the health and wellness spectrum, the answer continues to be – It Varies.

Goals, behaviors, actions, and outcomes are going to vary depending on a MULTITUDE of factors.

Again, there is no easy answer for this question, although some of the answers in the group included:

  • Set a goal to lose 10% of your body weight.
  • Aim for 10,000 steps per day.
  • Try to eat a minimum of 5 fruits and vegetables each day.
  • Practice gratitude and meditation to reduce stress.
  • Get at least 8 hours of sleep each night.
  • Cut out ultra-processed foods from your diet.
  • Drink a minimum of 64 oz. of water each day.

And the truth is, ALL of these answers are “correct”. These are realistic expectations if you are trying to improve your health, lose weight, or eat more nutritiously.

I think the more nuanced question is what is a realistic expectation for YOU? That answer is going to be more complicated.

If you’re someone who is not able to get 5,000 steps in every day, is it REALISTIC to expect yourself to suddenly be able to walk 10,000 steps each day?

If you have a baby at home who still wakes up for middle of the night feedings, is it REALISTIC to expect 8 hours of sleep each night?

If you drink coffee and soda most of your day, are you going to be able switch overnight and drink water all day long?

This is where it’s important to take a LONG, HARD look at your current habits/actions, and THEN look at what expectations (goals and outcomes) you’re hoping to achieve.

I have a fairly active day. I spend a lot of time on my feet. But I DON’T get a ton of steps in. My average per day is between 5,000-6,000 and that includes an intentional 30 minute walk each day. For me to get 10,000 steps or more each day, it would take about 90 minutes to 2 hours of intentionally walking. I simply don’t have time for that every single day. I manage that about once a week.

I can easily drink 100 oz. of water daily. I don’t drink much soda (once a month), so water and unsweet tea are pretty standard for me, and I drink a lot.

10,000 steps may be standard for someone who has an active job, but difficult for someone with a desk job.

64 oz. of water may be difficult for a heavy soda drinker to switch their habits.

This is where the realistic expectations need to be addressed. If the recommended amounts of any health/nutrition/weight loss activity are beyond your current capabilities, it’s important to determine what you CAN do, realistically.

If adding an 8 oz. glass of water in the morning is the first step you can take toward increasing your water intake, then that’s the REALISTIC thing to do. If getting an additional 500 steps each day is the best you can do right now, then that’s the REALISTIC thing to do.

Having the EXPECTATION of hitting the gym 5 days a week when you don’t have a gym membership is not realistic. Or eating a salad every day for lunch when you hate lettuce and most vegetables.

Looking for realistic and doable actions will help create healthy habits, achieve your goals and reach your desired outcomes. Drop by the gym one evening after work and take a look around to see if it’s the right fit for you. Try taking baby carrots (or ANY vegetable you actually LIKE) with your lunch for a week.

Making sure your expectations are doable and realistic will get you that much further toward success.

And if you would like to learn more about setting realistic and achievable goals to reach your health, nutrition, and weight loss outcomes, Book a FREE Consultation. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT TO DO WHEN CREATING HEALTHY HABITS BECOMES A CHALLENGE

As you’re working on your health, wellness, or nutrition journey, you’re going to face daily challenges. It happens. Obstacles. Setbacks. Faltering Motivation. Resistance. It’s frustrating to hit a roadblock. But hopefully some of the tips compiled here will help you navigate around these challenges and continue on your way to a healthier you. Focus on Your Behaviors, Not Your Outcomes .  I know I’ve talked about this before, but it’s actually a critical step of creating healthy habits. Outcomes vary. If you’re trying to lose 10 pounds, but the scale hasn’t moved past 5 pounds, it’s easy to get caught up in the number on the scale and fail to give yourself credit for the habits you’re creating like riding your bike 4 times per week, cooking healthier meals at home, and losing inches from around your waist. It’s important to praise and celebrate each habit you do, rather than only giving yourself credit when you hit a certain milestone, like the number on the scale. Take a...

A BUSY MOMS CAUTIONARY TALE: SPORTS MOM EDITION

I had a conversation with a friend the other day, and it got my brain stuck on this topic, so I thought I’d write it out today. I’ve always had kids who were into sports. From the time my sons were 4 years old (and they just graduated from college), until now with my daughter in her senior year of high school. A large majority of my friends also have kids in sports. Recently, our coaches have been talking to the players, as well as their parents, about nutrition. The players are running out of fuel for their bodies long before their events have ended. The result has been kids getting quite sick in one way or another during or immediately after their event. The majority of the issues are coming from a lack of proper nutrition and a lack of hydration. The coaches are taking it all VERY seriously, and have taken a lot of steps to help remedy this situation. The conversation with my friend brought up this point (which is the one that stuck with me), as we were discussing how much ...

NAMING THE PROBLEM

I love working with clients. I love walking them through the process of their health concerns, what their goals are, and how those goals can be achieved. But there is inevitably a glitch in the process where clients get stuck. For me, as well, when I’m working on my own personal goals. They hit a point where they feel like they’ve stalled in their progress. Or they feel like they don’t know where to start. Or how to navigate through an issue. And when these obstacles happen, the secret ingredient that health coaches use to help clients through these barriers is to Name The Problem . In my own personal experience, I have a tendency to get overwhelmed when I’ve made a goal too big. I get sucked into the vastness of the “forest” and I struggle to recognize the individual “trees” around me. For example, let’s say you’ve set a goal to “ Eat Healthier” . That is a very broad goal, and it could cover hundreds (if not thousands) of options. But you’ve made some changes that work for yo...