Skip to main content

THE IMPORTANCE OF TRYING DIFFERENT THINGS

Experimenting with your health and wellness options is important. Extremely. Can’t stress it enough.

Why?

One reason is that there may be things you’re convinced from childhood you don’t like (ex. Apples), until you try them AGAIN as an adult and discover they’re not so bad after all. Or, at the very least, you can find ways to incorporate those things into your life without it driving you crazy.

One of those things for me is peanut butter. I was never fond of it as a kid, but as I got older, turns out peanut butter is actually good, and I'll eat it pretty regularly.

Another reason to experiment is it can be a jumping off point for other healthy habits or activities.

I hate doing crunches. I’ve never liked them. But I’ve found that if I do a few (10-20) before I get out of bed in the morning, I’m MUCH more likely to do them without blowing it off or talking myself out of it, in addition to setting a positive tone to start out my day. 

Now, do I think doing 15 crunches in the morning is going to give me six-pack abs? Absolutely not!

But!

Do I think doing 15 crunches is a morale booster first thing in the morning to keep working on my movement and nutrition throughout the day?

Absolutely!

Experimenting also helps you get creative and find the things you ACTUALLY like.

Saw a cooking video about adding more greens (ick) into your diet and a recipe that actually looked really good. Tried it. Just about gagged.

So that left me with over half a bag of greens that I hated to waste, but had no idea how to make them palatable. Found a DIFFERENT recipe (Italian Sausage and White Bean Stew) that called for adding spinach, and I substituted the greens I had left.

Tried it.

DELICIOUS!!! Rich, creamy, great flavor, and the greens were almost negligible in the stew.

My point?

Experimenting with different foods, movement, hydration ideas, stress management, and sleep options is how you’re going to find things that work for YOU!

My entire family listens to podcasts and videos for entertainment or education. I listen to sleep better at night.

Hubs likes taking walks early in the morning. I prefer late evenings. Mini-Me is all about the sports for her activity, and so are my college-aged sons. They would rather go play basketball with their buddies or co-ed softball. Sometimes they’ll lift weights at the wellness center.

Within the last few months, Hubs has had to experiment a LOT more with foods that will work for his medical needs. He tried sourdough bread and really enjoyed it. But we recently couldn’t find his regular brand of bread and had to grab a multi-grain version of his sourdough.

It DID NOT go well.

He always thought he didn’t like apples until a friend of Mini-Me told him to try Tajin (a spice blend of chiles, lime, and sea salt) on them. He LOVES IT!

Being open-minded and experimenting with your health, nutrition, and weight loss can be a fun and adventurous way to meet your goals. There’s nothing wrong with saying an experiment didn’t work (sauteed greens, blech!), or finding a new, interesting way to make it work instead (stew).

Your health, nutrition, and weight loss journey doesn’t have to look like anyone else’s, nor should it. Find your way and enjoy the ride!

For help getting started on your health, weight loss, and nutrition lifestyle changes, Book a FREE Consultation!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT TO DO WHEN CREATING HEALTHY HABITS BECOMES A CHALLENGE

As you’re working on your health, wellness, or nutrition journey, you’re going to face daily challenges. It happens. Obstacles. Setbacks. Faltering Motivation. Resistance. It’s frustrating to hit a roadblock. But hopefully some of the tips compiled here will help you navigate around these challenges and continue on your way to a healthier you. Focus on Your Behaviors, Not Your Outcomes .  I know I’ve talked about this before, but it’s actually a critical step of creating healthy habits. Outcomes vary. If you’re trying to lose 10 pounds, but the scale hasn’t moved past 5 pounds, it’s easy to get caught up in the number on the scale and fail to give yourself credit for the habits you’re creating like riding your bike 4 times per week, cooking healthier meals at home, and losing inches from around your waist. It’s important to praise and celebrate each habit you do, rather than only giving yourself credit when you hit a certain milestone, like the number on the scale. Take a...

NAMING THE PROBLEM

I love working with clients. I love walking them through the process of their health concerns, what their goals are, and how those goals can be achieved. But there is inevitably a glitch in the process where clients get stuck. For me, as well, when I’m working on my own personal goals. They hit a point where they feel like they’ve stalled in their progress. Or they feel like they don’t know where to start. Or how to navigate through an issue. And when these obstacles happen, the secret ingredient that health coaches use to help clients through these barriers is to Name The Problem . In my own personal experience, I have a tendency to get overwhelmed when I’ve made a goal too big. I get sucked into the vastness of the “forest” and I struggle to recognize the individual “trees” around me. For example, let’s say you’ve set a goal to “ Eat Healthier” . That is a very broad goal, and it could cover hundreds (if not thousands) of options. But you’ve made some changes that work for yo...

THE PRINCIPLES OF GOOD NUTRITION

What is good for you? What’s not? Should you eat red meat? Should you avoid it? What about pasta? Or even gluten, for that matter? Sugar? A cupcake has sugar in it….but so does a banana. When it comes to healthy eating and nutrition, we all want direct and specific answers. I know I do. But the reality is, there is still a LOT about nutrition we don’t know. Studies have been conducted over the last hundred or so years, but then a new study comes along and overturns the previous information (think margarine and trans-fats). But there are still 5 generally accepted principles of nutrition that most members of the scientific community agree on. Calories In vs Calories Out Determines What You Will Weigh .  There are MANY factors that determine exactly HOW those calories are going to work in your body: appetite, food consumed, psychological factors like stress and sleep, how calories are absorbed; along with calories burned at rest, during exercise, while digesting food, and a...