Skip to main content

The Basics of Cooking. What’s so Important About It Anyway?

While this might seem obvious, it’s been coming up more and more in my life lately and I feel like it’s something I should talk about again.

My son is trying to do more cooking at home, and I’ve been getting a few calls lately about how to do things in the kitchen. None of my kids really had much interest in cooking growing up, although I made sure they were capable of feeding themselves the basics and were able to follow directions on a box mix of whatever.

But, apparently this is more common than I realized, and I’ve heard people my age and older say they really don’t like cooking, aren’t interested, or don’t know how to make things that taste good.

I’ll be the first to admit, my cooking skills developed because 1.) I was a picky eater; 2.) we were broke and couldn’t eat out all the time; 3.) there were foods I wanted to try that my family had zero interest in eating.

My mom taught me the basics as a teenager, and I learned to follow recipes and watched a LOT of the Food Network in my 20’s and 30’s. There have been MANY experiments over the years. Some were triumphs, and even MORE failures.

Now, as I’ve become more aware of the importance of cooking at home for a healthier lifestyle, I’m also more aware that not everyone understands how deeply beneficial cooking at home can be.

Healthier Choices

One of the biggest perks of cooking at home is having control over ingredients. When you cook for yourself, you decide what goes into your meals: more veggies and protein; processed foods are limited or eliminated (depending on your choices); organic, kosher, gluten-free, or other health options are available; and no mystery ingredients you can’t pronounce. Restaurant meals and pre-packaged foods can be loaded with excessive salt, sugar, unhealthy fats, and preservatives, which can sneak up on your health over time.

Cooking at home lets you prioritize fresh, whole ingredients that nourish your body. You can incorporate more of what works for you and experiment with meals that support your overall health. Plus, you can control portion sizes—something that’s harder to do when eating out.

Saves You Money

There’s no denying that eating out can drain your wallet. Even fast food, which used to be seen as the "cheap" option, adds up quickly, especially when feeding a family. Groceries may seem expensive at times, but when you break down the cost per meal, cooking at home is almost always the more budget-friendly choice.

My son is learning this lesson. When we talked about recipes he wanted to try, cost came up. I told him to add up the cost of his last meal out with his girlfriend (fast food), and to look at how many groceries he was getting for the same price. Even though in his HEAD the groceries seemed more expensive, when he actually broke down the number of meals he could make for the price of one meal out, the math did all the talking.

So, think about the cost of a single restaurant meal versus buying ingredients for multiple meals at home. A single dinner out could easily cost what you'd spend on groceries for several home-cooked dinners. Buying ingredients in bulk or on sale, meal prepping, and using leftovers (reduces food waste) are ways to stretch your grocery budget while eating well.

You Can Make What You Want, How You Want It

When you cook at home, you have the freedom to make meals exactly how you like them. This is absolutely an issue for me and my daughter. Not wanting certain things on/in my food, and trying to order without them can be a nightmare. Think, not wanting cheese or mayo on a burger that is normally made with both of those ingredients at a fast-food chain.

Cooking at home also allows for creativity. You can tweak recipes to fit your taste preferences, dietary needs, or even experiment with flavors you’ve never tried before. If you're avoiding allergens, following a specific diet, or simply prefer homemade versions of restaurant favorites, you have complete control over what goes on your plate.

And I’ll admit I’m weird, but I get a huge kick out of making a recipe as good as (or better than) a restaurant version.

Cooking is a skill that evolves over time, and the more you practice, the more confident you become. It really is for everyone. It’s not just for chefs or “foodies”. It can positively impact your health, finances, and overall enjoyment of food. Even if it feels intimidating at first, time, patience, and a willingness to experiment will make it easier.

Start simple. Take it slow.

Whether you’re new to the kitchen or continuing to sharpen your skills, the basics of cooking are always worth learning.

www.thehiddenpoweroffood.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT TO DO WHEN CREATING HEALTHY HABITS BECOMES A CHALLENGE

As you’re working on your health, wellness, or nutrition journey, you’re going to face daily challenges. It happens. Obstacles. Setbacks. Faltering Motivation. Resistance. It’s frustrating to hit a roadblock. But hopefully some of the tips compiled here will help you navigate around these challenges and continue on your way to a healthier you. Focus on Your Behaviors, Not Your Outcomes .  I know I’ve talked about this before, but it’s actually a critical step of creating healthy habits. Outcomes vary. If you’re trying to lose 10 pounds, but the scale hasn’t moved past 5 pounds, it’s easy to get caught up in the number on the scale and fail to give yourself credit for the habits you’re creating like riding your bike 4 times per week, cooking healthier meals at home, and losing inches from around your waist. It’s important to praise and celebrate each habit you do, rather than only giving yourself credit when you hit a certain milestone, like the number on the scale. Take a...

A BUSY MOMS CAUTIONARY TALE: SPORTS MOM EDITION

I had a conversation with a friend the other day, and it got my brain stuck on this topic, so I thought I’d write it out today. I’ve always had kids who were into sports. From the time my sons were 4 years old (and they just graduated from college), until now with my daughter in her senior year of high school. A large majority of my friends also have kids in sports. Recently, our coaches have been talking to the players, as well as their parents, about nutrition. The players are running out of fuel for their bodies long before their events have ended. The result has been kids getting quite sick in one way or another during or immediately after their event. The majority of the issues are coming from a lack of proper nutrition and a lack of hydration. The coaches are taking it all VERY seriously, and have taken a lot of steps to help remedy this situation. The conversation with my friend brought up this point (which is the one that stuck with me), as we were discussing how much ...

NAMING THE PROBLEM

I love working with clients. I love walking them through the process of their health concerns, what their goals are, and how those goals can be achieved. But there is inevitably a glitch in the process where clients get stuck. For me, as well, when I’m working on my own personal goals. They hit a point where they feel like they’ve stalled in their progress. Or they feel like they don’t know where to start. Or how to navigate through an issue. And when these obstacles happen, the secret ingredient that health coaches use to help clients through these barriers is to Name The Problem . In my own personal experience, I have a tendency to get overwhelmed when I’ve made a goal too big. I get sucked into the vastness of the “forest” and I struggle to recognize the individual “trees” around me. For example, let’s say you’ve set a goal to “ Eat Healthier” . That is a very broad goal, and it could cover hundreds (if not thousands) of options. But you’ve made some changes that work for yo...