Skip to main content

THE BREAKDOWN DAY - (warning, kinda personal)

We all have them. We’re busy moms, holding life together by a thread.

You’ve had a series of THINGS happen. And by the way, it’s a BIG misconception, that it just came out of nowhere. No, it didn’t. This meltdown has been building up over time, like lava beneath the earth’s surface.

The “things” can be big or small, it really doesn’t matter. It’s just a bunch of issues over time that build and build. You may have had moments where you thought you had dealt with them.

But in reality, you were probably just dealing with PIECES of the issue, and the rest was getting shoved aside to be handled another time. Only, you’re a BUSY MOM! “Another Time” rarely comes. You’re pushing ahead through the next thing and the next.

I’m just going to use my example really quickly because I know EVERYONE’S situation is different.

Perimenopause is causing a plethora of physical issues including night sweats, fatigue, sleep disruption, mood swings, weight gain, and others. Big Issue.

Crazy schedule for Mini-Me. Small Issue.

We lost my Mother-In-Law. Big Issue.

Hubs traveling to help take care of family matters. Medium Issue.

More crazy schedule for Mini-Me. Small Issue.

My stepdaughter lost a baby. Huge Issue.

Hubs had surgery. Medium Issue.

My sons graduate college. Medium Issue.

Stepson and Step-Daughter-In-Law move away. Big Issue.

See where this is going? You have things happening in your life so once you finally hit that limit, the breakdown erupts. And it doesn’t even have to be anything BAD.

My son hugged me and told me he loved me, and I broke down sobbing. He’s still hugging me and trying to figure out what’s happening and calling for Hubs, and I’m just bawling my eyes out.

So.

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN A BREAKDOWN HAPPENS?

Well, for me, I cried. Ugly, snot and tears everywhere, crying. Don’t be embarrassed or feel like you have to be strong, hold it together, never-let-them-see-you-cry nonsense. Let that stuff OUT!

Next, hot shower. Personally, even in the summer, I’m going to scorch myself until I’m bright pink. I do not recommend making this a shaving legs/exfoliating/deep-conditioning kind of shower. This is a standing under the water until you get pruney and letting go of the tension kind of shower.

Comfy clothes. No work clothes or jeans or tight shirts or anything. If you can get away with it, bye-bye bra. You need roomy, soft, and comfy. I don’t care how dumb it sounds – you need the space to BREATHE! I also recommend soft, cozy blankets, too.

Then, pick a treat. Now, I want to put this out there before I get in trouble for knowing better as a health coach, that you shouldn’t “eat your feelings”. I know this. There are obviously healthier ways to deal with emotions than eating an entire pan of brownies. And I’m not suggesting you eat a PAN of brownies.

But, girl!

On Breakdown Day, within reason, it’s okay to eat one of your favorite comfort foods. Cookie, brownie, chips, pizza, whatever. Again, I’m not advocating for out-of-control binge eating. If you struggle with binge eating, absolutely DO NOT DO THIS! But I am absolving you of feeling guilty for cheating on your eating habits or whatever.

Now, music. Anything that makes your toe tap or your booty pop. Or anything that soothes your nerves. Rage music to get all the emotions out. Whatever you need. Maybe it’s all of the above – rage, then soothe, then pop your booty. But multiple studies show that music is good for your mood.

At this point, I’m usually calming down enough that I will either:

A.) do some deep breathing exercises;

B.) stretch to release more tension;

C.) journal to get all my feelings out and logic my way through them; or

D.) take a walk to clear my head and re-gather my thoughts and feelings.

If you have your own rituals or routines for dealing with a Breakdown Day, that’s awesome. I’m genuinely happy for you, and would love it if you left a comment about what you do to work through it.

But if you struggle and feel like you’ve failed somehow because you weren’t able to hold it all together, just remember: you’re not alone, we all go through it; if you’re really struggling reach out for help in whatever way you need; you do whatever you gotta do to get through; and as cliché as it sounds, this too shall pass.

If there are bigger issues, definitely seek help IMMEDIATELY! But on a Breakdown Day, do what you must and hang in there. You’ve got this!

www.thehiddenpoweroffood.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT TO DO WHEN CREATING HEALTHY HABITS BECOMES A CHALLENGE

As you’re working on your health, wellness, or nutrition journey, you’re going to face daily challenges. It happens. Obstacles. Setbacks. Faltering Motivation. Resistance. It’s frustrating to hit a roadblock. But hopefully some of the tips compiled here will help you navigate around these challenges and continue on your way to a healthier you. Focus on Your Behaviors, Not Your Outcomes .  I know I’ve talked about this before, but it’s actually a critical step of creating healthy habits. Outcomes vary. If you’re trying to lose 10 pounds, but the scale hasn’t moved past 5 pounds, it’s easy to get caught up in the number on the scale and fail to give yourself credit for the habits you’re creating like riding your bike 4 times per week, cooking healthier meals at home, and losing inches from around your waist. It’s important to praise and celebrate each habit you do, rather than only giving yourself credit when you hit a certain milestone, like the number on the scale. Take a...

NAMING THE PROBLEM

I love working with clients. I love walking them through the process of their health concerns, what their goals are, and how those goals can be achieved. But there is inevitably a glitch in the process where clients get stuck. For me, as well, when I’m working on my own personal goals. They hit a point where they feel like they’ve stalled in their progress. Or they feel like they don’t know where to start. Or how to navigate through an issue. And when these obstacles happen, the secret ingredient that health coaches use to help clients through these barriers is to Name The Problem . In my own personal experience, I have a tendency to get overwhelmed when I’ve made a goal too big. I get sucked into the vastness of the “forest” and I struggle to recognize the individual “trees” around me. For example, let’s say you’ve set a goal to “ Eat Healthier” . That is a very broad goal, and it could cover hundreds (if not thousands) of options. But you’ve made some changes that work for yo...

THE PRINCIPLES OF GOOD NUTRITION

What is good for you? What’s not? Should you eat red meat? Should you avoid it? What about pasta? Or even gluten, for that matter? Sugar? A cupcake has sugar in it….but so does a banana. When it comes to healthy eating and nutrition, we all want direct and specific answers. I know I do. But the reality is, there is still a LOT about nutrition we don’t know. Studies have been conducted over the last hundred or so years, but then a new study comes along and overturns the previous information (think margarine and trans-fats). But there are still 5 generally accepted principles of nutrition that most members of the scientific community agree on. Calories In vs Calories Out Determines What You Will Weigh .  There are MANY factors that determine exactly HOW those calories are going to work in your body: appetite, food consumed, psychological factors like stress and sleep, how calories are absorbed; along with calories burned at rest, during exercise, while digesting food, and a...