Skip to main content

EVEN AS A HEALTH COACH, ONE OF THE HARDEST LESSONS I’M STILL LEARNING

MY FOOD IS FOR NOURISHING MY BODY, and even though I’m ALLOWED to eat whatever I want, if I want my body to be well and function for me, I’ve got to give it what it needs.

I’ve seen way too many posts about how “toxic” it is to chase being skinny, and trying to lose weight means you don’t love yourself enough as you are, or accept yourself for who you are.

Fair enough. If that’s how you feel, I understand. I’m not suggesting anyone turn themselves inside out or upside down to chase a number on the scale or a certain size jeans.

But I AM suggesting that if you want your body to function optimally, you have to nourish it with the foods it needs. Your body needs protein, it needs fats, it needs carbs (yes, really), it needs vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and water. The ratios in which your body needs these nutrients will vary, but you still need them.

And I’ve been gaining a lot of clarity in the last few years as I’ve gotten older, learned more about health, nutrition, and wellness, and as my wants, desires, and needs have changed – I’m way more interested in being stronger, longevity, and protecting my health than I am in being “skinny”. Quite frankly, given the state of our world right now, I’m far more interested in those three things than any number on the scale.

As I have joked with Hubs on more than one occasion, I wanna be a freaking Amazon. Strong, confident, and healthy.

I also want peace. I want calm. I want to be Zen amongst the chaos. All of these things require three major components:

  • Nourishing my body with the foods and water it needs to maintain itself and build stronger systems.
  • Move my body in ways that are going to also support these systems: doing cardio, strength training, and stretching.
  • Manage my stress, get enough sleep (very difficult with perimenopause), and focus on what is going to get me to my goals.

All of these things are interconnected with each other. You need them all in order to thrive and reach your goals. I’m not going to pretend any of this is as simple as snapping your fingers and it’s done.

Life is complicated. You’re busy. You’re tired. You’re juggling your hectic schedule. You may not want to think about balancing your meals, finding the time to exercise properly, and somehow creating a stress-reducing routine every day.

Sometimes your kids’ leftover mac and cheese and chicken nuggets are the best you can do on a busy day. Walking back and forth between parking lots and ball fields while dragging a wagon full of sports equipment and a toddler to an older sibling’s ball game is the most cardio and strength training you’re getting in the evening.

These are all valid, and you’re obviously not alone. Finding the ways to make it work for you are personal, and there’s no right or wrong way, no matter what anyone else tells you.

My starting point is nutrition.

As I said, I want to give my body what it needs, and right now, that’s the most doable step for me.

I’m making sure I:

A.) get enough water every day,

B.) work on my fruits and veggies each day,

C.) work on my protein intake.

It’s all a work in progress.

So, pick your starting point, and spend the coming week working on the area that will nourish your body and get you a step closer to your health and wellness goals.


www.thehiddenpoweroffood.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

QUICK WINS WEDNESDAY

While we may not have all the time in the world with back-to-school creeping in, last minute vacations before summer is officially gone, and dealing with the ridiculous end of summer heat (at least where we’re located), as Busy Moms we still have daily opportunities to get Quick Wins for our health and wellness that don’t require an entire rearranging of our lives to get them. So, here’s my list of five Quick Wins you can implement TODAY with little to no extra effort or going out of your way to make them happen. Eat a Piece of Dark Chocolate Every Day . I know it’s not everyone’s favorite, and to be honest it can be an acquired taste. I didn’t like it years ago, either. But if you get 70% or higher, you’re giving yourself a mini-health boost with vitamins and minerals like copper, manganese, zinc, potassium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, selenium, calcium, and almost all the B vitamins. From CHOCOLATE! And an added bonus, your kids probably aren’t going to want it because it’s not a...

THE WELLNESS INDUSTRY IS EXHAUSTING. IT'S YOUR HEALTH & YOUR RULES - EVERYONE ELSE CAN TAKE A SEAT!

I’m probably going to get some backlash from this, but my give a cares are pretty much gone at this point in my life. I check social media platforms pretty frequently to see what topics are trending in health and wellness. I feel like it’s not only important for me to keep up with my formal continuing education but to also see what people are thinking outside of a course or a classroom. To say we have problems in this country, and as a society, would be an understatement. We have huge SYSTEMIC issues around healthcare, wellness, disease management and prevention, weight loss, etc. The list is utterly exhausting. Every person has their own ideas and opinions on what health and wellness look like to them. It might mean the absence of disease (ex. heart disease) or no chronic health concerns (ex. high blood pressure). It might mean a certain number on the scale, the range of your biometric markers (blood pressure, cholesterol levels, blood sugar levels), or your ratio of body fat to ...

ARE YOU ACTIVELY TRYING TO IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH? Or Are You Simply Trying to Hang On?

This is the question I asked myself this week as I cried over going to a school event for my daughter. She’s a senior this year and I am already struggling with my “baby” about to fly the nest. But the truth is, I wasn’t crying for sentimental reasons. I’m embarrassed to admit it, but I was crying because I didn’t want to go . I felt obligated to go and support her because it’s her senior year and that’s what I’m supposed to do as her mother, but honestly, I’ve been feeling the burnout for WEEKS now. I didn’t want to go and socialize. I didn’t want to interact with people. And I LIKE people. We’re incredibly fortunate to live in a supportive and active community with people who are very nice and get along. Most of the time. (Let’s be real – everyone has their moments.) But 99% of the time our little town works together and supports one another and they are ESPECIALLY encouraging to the kids. So, there I was, crying and trying to hide it from my daughter and husband because...