Skip to main content

A NEAT Way to Burn Calories

So, for a couple of weeks, I’ve wanted to share some information on the topic of N.E.A.T.

NEAT stands for Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. In simpler terms, NEAT is the amount of energy burned while going about your everyday activities: walking, doing dishes, switching laundry, typing, shopping, etc.

There are 4 ways our bodies use energy (burn calories) every day.

1.  Resting Metabolic Rate – the amount of calories burned at rest. This includes all your basic bodily functions like breathing, heartbeat, brain function, function of other organs, and maintenance of lean muscle mass. 60%-75% of the calories burned on a daily basis happen through the RMR.

2.  Thermic Effect of Feeding – the number of calories required to ingest food. This includes chewing, swallowing, the breakdown of food in the stomach, digestion and absorption of food in the stomach and small intestine, etc. 10% of daily calories burned come from TEF.

3.  Thermic Effect of Activity – the number of calories burned doing spontaneous physical activity (running from a dog chasing you down the street) to planned sustained activity (walking, jogging, riding a bike, swimming, etc.). 15%-30% of calories burned are from TEA.

4.  Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis – the number of calories burned for everything we do that is NOT sleeping, eating, or exercising.

Right now, there is not a specific scientific method for measuring NEAT. However, according to research by Dr. James A. Levine of the Mayo Clinic, people of similar body type and weight but vastly different activity levels can have a difference of calories burned in a day by up to 2000 calories.

So, what does this mean to average people like you and me?

Well, for someone like me who doesn’t really enjoy strenuous exercise, increasing my activity level each day is a good first step. According to the National Academy of Sports Medicine, "As little as 100 calories each day translates to approximately 10 lbs. lost in a year; 200 calories equals the loss of 20 lbs. in a year without even breaking a sweat. By comparison, a 145 lb. person requires almost 120, 30-minute cardio sessions at 5 mph."

Ways to increase your NEAT levels can vary.
  • I try to fidget while I'm working at my computer (yes, that's an actual recommended way to increase your NEAT level).
  • I dance around my kitchen while I'm cooking dinner, much to my husband's amusement and my children's embarrassment.
  • I pace while I'm talking on the phone.
  • I do pushups against the counter and squats while I'm waiting for my tea to steep in the microwave.
  • I park further away at the store.
  • I take my shopping cart all the way back to the store instead of the cart return in the parking lot.
Any activity that can possibly burn a few extra calories here and there is a part of NEAT. The more I learn about it, the more I'm trying to incorporate NEAT into my life. And now that you know a little more about it, maybe you can try to add a few NEAT activities into you own day.

Until next time....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

QUICK WINS WEDNESDAY

While we may not have all the time in the world with back-to-school creeping in, last minute vacations before summer is officially gone, and dealing with the ridiculous end of summer heat (at least where we’re located), as Busy Moms we still have daily opportunities to get Quick Wins for our health and wellness that don’t require an entire rearranging of our lives to get them. So, here’s my list of five Quick Wins you can implement TODAY with little to no extra effort or going out of your way to make them happen. Eat a Piece of Dark Chocolate Every Day . I know it’s not everyone’s favorite, and to be honest it can be an acquired taste. I didn’t like it years ago, either. But if you get 70% or higher, you’re giving yourself a mini-health boost with vitamins and minerals like copper, manganese, zinc, potassium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, selenium, calcium, and almost all the B vitamins. From CHOCOLATE! And an added bonus, your kids probably aren’t going to want it because it’s not a...

THE WELLNESS INDUSTRY IS EXHAUSTING. IT'S YOUR HEALTH & YOUR RULES - EVERYONE ELSE CAN TAKE A SEAT!

I’m probably going to get some backlash from this, but my give a cares are pretty much gone at this point in my life. I check social media platforms pretty frequently to see what topics are trending in health and wellness. I feel like it’s not only important for me to keep up with my formal continuing education but to also see what people are thinking outside of a course or a classroom. To say we have problems in this country, and as a society, would be an understatement. We have huge SYSTEMIC issues around healthcare, wellness, disease management and prevention, weight loss, etc. The list is utterly exhausting. Every person has their own ideas and opinions on what health and wellness look like to them. It might mean the absence of disease (ex. heart disease) or no chronic health concerns (ex. high blood pressure). It might mean a certain number on the scale, the range of your biometric markers (blood pressure, cholesterol levels, blood sugar levels), or your ratio of body fat to ...

ARE YOU ACTIVELY TRYING TO IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH? Or Are You Simply Trying to Hang On?

This is the question I asked myself this week as I cried over going to a school event for my daughter. She’s a senior this year and I am already struggling with my “baby” about to fly the nest. But the truth is, I wasn’t crying for sentimental reasons. I’m embarrassed to admit it, but I was crying because I didn’t want to go . I felt obligated to go and support her because it’s her senior year and that’s what I’m supposed to do as her mother, but honestly, I’ve been feeling the burnout for WEEKS now. I didn’t want to go and socialize. I didn’t want to interact with people. And I LIKE people. We’re incredibly fortunate to live in a supportive and active community with people who are very nice and get along. Most of the time. (Let’s be real – everyone has their moments.) But 99% of the time our little town works together and supports one another and they are ESPECIALLY encouraging to the kids. So, there I was, crying and trying to hide it from my daughter and husband because...