Skip to main content

THREE SIMPLE STEPS IF YOU’RE TRYING TO EAT HEALTHIER

If you are trying to lose weight, or even eat healthier, one of the BEST options is cooking at home yourself. 

That would be recommendation Number One.

You can control the ingredients (and if you’re a picky eater like me, that’s a VERY important key!). For example, I’m not a fan of avocado. I’ll eat it, especially if it’s “hidden” in other foods (think guacamole in a 7-Layer dip), but I’m not going to go out of my way to add avocado to my diet.

You get a LOT more bang for your buck (more food for less money). For what ONE meal costs my family in a sit-down restaurant, I can get 3-4 days’ worth of groceries.

You don’t have to get fancy and sometimes less really is more (you can throw a bunch of healthy stuff in a crockpot and LET IT GO!). It might be that you and your spouse/partner are having a healthy crockpot meal while the kids are munching on frozen pizza or mac and cheese, and that’s TOTALLY FINE! Everyone is fed, you can feel good about what you ate, and the kids are happy and alive and that’s all that really matters, especially on VERY BUSY weeknights!

With inflation and prices being outrageous on certain items, it can feel impossible to eat healthy and not bust your budget.

I understand.

That’s why recommendation Number Two is STOCK UP ON YOUR SPICES!

They add TONS of flavor to any dish you’re making and can help you stretch a meal and your budget. One of the BEST side dishes I’ve EVER eaten was a side of steamed broccoli that had been DRIZZLED with lemon-garlic olive oil. I’m talking 1 TEASPOON worth, tops! And it was so delicious that I completely forgot about my main dish and ate the entire serving on my plate before I even TOUCHED the other food. Broccoli!

You don’t have to buy extremely expensive spices unless you just want to, or if you want to grind your own or whatever. Spices can be very expensive (saffron), or super cheap (salt, pepper, garlic, onion, cinnamon, etc.), depending on where you buy and what you’re buying. But unless you have something VERY specific in mind, most of the time you can get away with much cheaper spices/blends without sacrificing the flavor.

Putting different or plenty of seasoning in your food will go a LONG way toward satisfying your hunger. And if you’re not used to cooking at home a lot, you’re probably going to need to experiment a bit to get the flavors and amounts correct. Following recipes definitely helps with this (and that’s where I get in trouble because I tend to just try and “wing it” and end up over- or under-seasoning).

And my Number Three recommendation is to switch out your vegetable oil and GO WITH OLIVE OIL FOR ALL YOUR COOKING.

Baking is the one area I’m still hesitant and will still use vegetable oil, but for everything else I cook almost exclusively with olive oil.

Now, olive oil – the REAL stuff – can be more expensive than your plain old, generic vegetable oil.

BUT!

The health benefits of using olive oil are an entire list on its own, it is SO GOOD FOR YOU! Study after study after study of some of the healthiest people on the planet found that OLIVE OIL is a part of their diet every single day. And not just a tablespoon here and there. We’re talking CUPS of olive oil per day. I’m not necessarily recommending anyone start drinking it by the cup-full, but I AM saying that using a healthy fat like olive oil (or avocado oil if you need a higher smoke-point oil) is a good way to FEEL MORE SATISFIED! That’s right! The oil adds a richness to your food and basically “tricks” your body into feeling fuller, faster, with less consumed (satiety).

And that’s it!

Those are the first 3 recommendations I would make if you want to try eating healthier – cook more at home; use more spices for flavor to help cut back on processed foods; and switch to olive oil rather than vegetable oil, butter, or shortening to add richness (satiety) and the health benefits of olive oil itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT TO DO WHEN CREATING HEALTHY HABITS BECOMES A CHALLENGE

As you’re working on your health, wellness, or nutrition journey, you’re going to face daily challenges. It happens. Obstacles. Setbacks. Faltering Motivation. Resistance. It’s frustrating to hit a roadblock. But hopefully some of the tips compiled here will help you navigate around these challenges and continue on your way to a healthier you. Focus on Your Behaviors, Not Your Outcomes .  I know I’ve talked about this before, but it’s actually a critical step of creating healthy habits. Outcomes vary. If you’re trying to lose 10 pounds, but the scale hasn’t moved past 5 pounds, it’s easy to get caught up in the number on the scale and fail to give yourself credit for the habits you’re creating like riding your bike 4 times per week, cooking healthier meals at home, and losing inches from around your waist. It’s important to praise and celebrate each habit you do, rather than only giving yourself credit when you hit a certain milestone, like the number on the scale. Take a...

NAMING THE PROBLEM

I love working with clients. I love walking them through the process of their health concerns, what their goals are, and how those goals can be achieved. But there is inevitably a glitch in the process where clients get stuck. For me, as well, when I’m working on my own personal goals. They hit a point where they feel like they’ve stalled in their progress. Or they feel like they don’t know where to start. Or how to navigate through an issue. And when these obstacles happen, the secret ingredient that health coaches use to help clients through these barriers is to Name The Problem . In my own personal experience, I have a tendency to get overwhelmed when I’ve made a goal too big. I get sucked into the vastness of the “forest” and I struggle to recognize the individual “trees” around me. For example, let’s say you’ve set a goal to “ Eat Healthier” . That is a very broad goal, and it could cover hundreds (if not thousands) of options. But you’ve made some changes that work for yo...

THE PRINCIPLES OF GOOD NUTRITION

What is good for you? What’s not? Should you eat red meat? Should you avoid it? What about pasta? Or even gluten, for that matter? Sugar? A cupcake has sugar in it….but so does a banana. When it comes to healthy eating and nutrition, we all want direct and specific answers. I know I do. But the reality is, there is still a LOT about nutrition we don’t know. Studies have been conducted over the last hundred or so years, but then a new study comes along and overturns the previous information (think margarine and trans-fats). But there are still 5 generally accepted principles of nutrition that most members of the scientific community agree on. Calories In vs Calories Out Determines What You Will Weigh .  There are MANY factors that determine exactly HOW those calories are going to work in your body: appetite, food consumed, psychological factors like stress and sleep, how calories are absorbed; along with calories burned at rest, during exercise, while digesting food, and a...