Skip to main content

AN OLDIE, BUT A GOODIE...

I’ve never tried a post like this before.

I got this idea as I was talking to my daughter about cooking….mainly, what did she actually know how to cook?

I know she can do some basics – scrambled eggs, pasta, anything frozen that goes in the oven, anything that goes in the microwave, and boxed baked goods (brownies, cakes, muffins, etc.). But what else did she actually know how to cook?

She mentioned she’s not comfortable making meat. Like, any kind of meat. So that’s where we decided to start.

I had a 3 pound package of ground turkey that I was planning on using for different recipes, but we decided that she would cook and season the meat, and then we would use it to make recipes she wanted to do.

We decided on tacos, spaghetti with meat sauce, and sloppy joe’s.

And that’s what got me thinking about this post. 

What other proteins can you make a big batch, or just take part of a larger package and use it for several different recipes?

Batch Cooking is not a new concept. It's been around for a LONG TIME. But with our busy lifestyles, I think we forget how easy it can be to make ONE big item - a roast in the crockpot - and then use the leftovers for different meals later.

At least, I forget how easy and convenient it can be.

I’m not going to actually link recipes in this post because I honestly just want this to get your creative juices flowing. Something I mention might spark a completely different idea or different direction for you. And I am also very terrible about seeing recipes and thinking they sound good, but I want to tweak this or that, and end up with something based on a recipe but not actually the same recipe.

So this is a sampling of ideas I had for dishes you can make using one protein source multiple ways. 

ROAST – Mississippi Pot Roast, Italian Beef Subs, Shredded Beef Enchiladas (bulk them out with a can of black beans or ranch-style beans)

CHICKEN – Fajitas, Mongolian Chicken, Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken, Peppers and Onions (this one literally uses all the same ingredients – chicken, peppers and onions in 3 different ways).

CHICKEN (Shredded Rotisserie) – Chicken Salad, Lemon Chicken Orzo (or any Chicken Pasta dish), Any Mexican food Chicken option (Quesadillas, Tacos, Enchiladas, Bowls, Burritos, Lots of Possibilities) 

I included this one simply because I think it’s very convenient to have the rotisserie chicken already cooked and be able to throw something together in under 20 minutes, maybe even 10 minutes if you go simple enough.

GROUND MEAT (Beef, Turkey, etc.) – Eggroll In a Bowl, Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls, Fried Cabbage with Sausage (or any ground meat) 

I focused on cabbage with the ground meat recipes only because I wanted to make the point of choosing things that can be used MULTIPLE TIMES for meals, in this case ground meat, cabbage, onions, and garlic, same as with the chicken, peppers, and onions. If you want to make it more along the lines of tacos, spaghetti with meat sauce, and sloppy joe’s, have at it! Just try to focus on “grouping your meals” so you have plenty of variety but still are keeping it simple by reusing ingredients.

PORK – Pork Roast, BBQ Pulled Pork (sandwiches, sliders, baked potatoes), Carnitas (pulled pork street-tacos) 

Again, I went with something that would make a lot of protein, but can be used in multiple ways. As busy moms, you put it in the crockpot and forget it, it’s done and makes TONS of leftovers. This could also be done with a pork loin too. Or if you want to buy a family/bulk package of pork chops and cook those in different ways, also.

HAM – Baked Ham, Scalloped Potatoes with Ham (homemade or box mix, prep accordingly and throw the ham in), Any Casserole or Soup (omg, seriously! Pinterest! Recipes all over that place for Ham Casseroles or Soups!)

TURKEY – Pot Pie (DO NOT overthink this! It does NOT have to be Grandma “Sally’s” famous Pot Pie that she took 3 days to make to perfection. NO! Just throw that mess together and GO!), Turkey Chili, Tator Tot Turkey Casserole. 

With the holidays upon us, there’s going to be leftover turkey for days. Once again, Pinterest will be your best friend for recipes to use up all that extra turkey.

VEGETARIAN – I’m at a little more of a loss on this one. I know that beans and peas combine with whole grains to form complete proteins. I also know that quinoa and soy beans are considered complete proteins as well. So combining things like whole wheat pasta with peas, or beans and rice, or beans and corn, or a quinoa dish are going to provide the proteins you need. 

Black Beans and Rice Skillet, Italian Pasta with Peas, Quinoa Fried Rice.

EGGS – Shakshuka (tried it for the first time, not bad), Omelets, Frittata/Quiche/Breakfast Bake (for dinner!). 

Without sounding condescending, I think we forget the easiness of throwing eggs together with some leftover meat, veggies, and cheese to create omelets as whole and hearty meals. Or as a “breakfast bake” that can be divided up and frozen for a quick reheat later.

FISH – Salmon (it can either be canned or fresh, depending on your budget, which means I would actually use it or cook it in different ways) 

Canned I would do Salmon Salad (like tuna salad for sandwiches or on crackers), Salmon Patties, or I would flake it into a Casserole (like tuna noodle casserole but with Salmon). 

For Fresh, I would probably bake it in the oven or cut it and sear it in a pan. Have a Filet with veggies, have a Filet with a lemon cream pasta and veggies, or a Teriyaki Glaze over Rice and veggies. And obviously there are plenty of other types of fish you can cook in multiple ways. For simplicity’s sake, I just chose Salmon, but you can go with any fish you like.

SHRIMP – Shrimp Scampi with pasta, Shrimp Stir-Fry, Cajun Shrimp and Grits. 

Again, like with chicken, shrimp can be used in pretty much any way you can think of, in any type of cuisine you want to try. The sky’s the limit when it comes to creating shrimp recipes.

So, those are my beginning suggestions for using one protein in multiple ways. This is obviously not a new concept and I realize it could take some time getting used to cooking this way, if you don't already.

As busy moms, I think the struggle comes down to what is easy, not wanting it to be boring or the same old thing all the time, and trying to keep it as healthy as possible.

So hopefully some of these ideas will help to spark other recipes you can try at home yourself. With the holidays here and hectic schedules, finding the time to get creative or fancy with our meals is probably a big ask. But if you're able to take one big meal (like a roast or large package of hamburger), and make multiple meals out of it, your week might actually get a little simpler as far as dinner goes.

And if you're looking for a way to stay on track with your health and nutrition goals through the holiday season, Book A FREE Consultation and let me help you navigate the ups and downs of holiday treats all around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT TO DO WHEN CREATING HEALTHY HABITS BECOMES A CHALLENGE

As you’re working on your health, wellness, or nutrition journey, you’re going to face daily challenges. It happens. Obstacles. Setbacks. Faltering Motivation. Resistance. It’s frustrating to hit a roadblock. But hopefully some of the tips compiled here will help you navigate around these challenges and continue on your way to a healthier you. Focus on Your Behaviors, Not Your Outcomes .  I know I’ve talked about this before, but it’s actually a critical step of creating healthy habits. Outcomes vary. If you’re trying to lose 10 pounds, but the scale hasn’t moved past 5 pounds, it’s easy to get caught up in the number on the scale and fail to give yourself credit for the habits you’re creating like riding your bike 4 times per week, cooking healthier meals at home, and losing inches from around your waist. It’s important to praise and celebrate each habit you do, rather than only giving yourself credit when you hit a certain milestone, like the number on the scale. Take a...

NAMING THE PROBLEM

I love working with clients. I love walking them through the process of their health concerns, what their goals are, and how those goals can be achieved. But there is inevitably a glitch in the process where clients get stuck. For me, as well, when I’m working on my own personal goals. They hit a point where they feel like they’ve stalled in their progress. Or they feel like they don’t know where to start. Or how to navigate through an issue. And when these obstacles happen, the secret ingredient that health coaches use to help clients through these barriers is to Name The Problem . In my own personal experience, I have a tendency to get overwhelmed when I’ve made a goal too big. I get sucked into the vastness of the “forest” and I struggle to recognize the individual “trees” around me. For example, let’s say you’ve set a goal to “ Eat Healthier” . That is a very broad goal, and it could cover hundreds (if not thousands) of options. But you’ve made some changes that work for yo...

THE PRINCIPLES OF GOOD NUTRITION

What is good for you? What’s not? Should you eat red meat? Should you avoid it? What about pasta? Or even gluten, for that matter? Sugar? A cupcake has sugar in it….but so does a banana. When it comes to healthy eating and nutrition, we all want direct and specific answers. I know I do. But the reality is, there is still a LOT about nutrition we don’t know. Studies have been conducted over the last hundred or so years, but then a new study comes along and overturns the previous information (think margarine and trans-fats). But there are still 5 generally accepted principles of nutrition that most members of the scientific community agree on. Calories In vs Calories Out Determines What You Will Weigh .  There are MANY factors that determine exactly HOW those calories are going to work in your body: appetite, food consumed, psychological factors like stress and sleep, how calories are absorbed; along with calories burned at rest, during exercise, while digesting food, and a...