Skip to main content

IT'S NOT "JUST" ABOUT THE EGGS....

“Yes, eggs are ridiculously expensive right now. Yes, I still eat a ton of them anyways. I will never prioritize saving money on groceries over fueling my body with what it needs for optimal health. The cheapest food is not always the best food.”


Okay. This is an anonymous post on a social media site.

And while I genuinely appreciate the sentiment – fueling your body with what it needs for optimal health – I don’t think I agree with a part of it that seems to be kinda tone-deaf….in my opinion.

While I agree with fueling your body, I also understand that not everyone has the ability to AFFORD the most nutritious options.

This post stressed (and again, I sort of agree – to an extent) that making healthy food choices is their priority, and they will not compromise that value to save a few dollars.

My disagreement is that everyone’s circumstances are different. At the time of this blog post, I was able to purchase boneless, skinless chicken breast on sale for $1.99 per pound. I was able to purchase 3 pounds of chicken for the same price as 1 dozen eggs ($5.97).

That is roughly 12 servings of chicken (4oz each) at 35 grams of protein per serving, compared to 6 servings of eggs (2 eggs per serving) at 12 grams of protein per serving.

Now, if you’re on a tight budget, that chicken is going to go a lot further feeding yourself or your family than the eggs are. And you’re actually getting more protein per serving (almost 3 times as much). Calorically, they are about the same (140 calories per serving).

1 cup of cooked beans is going to provide roughly 15 grams of protein and about 220-250 calories.  1 pound of beans (dried) makes roughly 5-6 cups of cooked beans, and 1 pound of dry beans costs about $1.50.

Add rice (roughly $1.00-$1.50 per pound) and you have a complete protein.

See where this is going?

It’s not just about the eggs being a healthy option. They are. Not a question.

The QUESTION is: in YOUR circumstances, are you able to justify the current cost of eggs (or whatever healthy food it may be) in your family’s food budget? Or are there alternatives that are equally as nutritious, less expensive, or help you stretch your dollars a little further?

Can you get similar nutritional value from a Gala Apple as you can from a Honeycrisp Apple (currently $1.18 per pound versus $1.98 per pound)?

I have no qualms with prioritizing nutrition for yourself and your family. If there are ways to cut back on less nutritious foods (cookies, cupcakes, chips, crackers) and add healthier options (fruits, vegetables, lean protein, whole grains), I always advocate for that.

But again, I feel like everyone is in different circumstances and might not be able to afford more expensive items, regardless of their nutritional value. And if there are alternatives that are equally as healthy, or more so, then go for those.

www.thehiddenpoweroffood.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

QUICK WINS WEDNESDAY

While we may not have all the time in the world with back-to-school creeping in, last minute vacations before summer is officially gone, and dealing with the ridiculous end of summer heat (at least where we’re located), as Busy Moms we still have daily opportunities to get Quick Wins for our health and wellness that don’t require an entire rearranging of our lives to get them. So, here’s my list of five Quick Wins you can implement TODAY with little to no extra effort or going out of your way to make them happen. Eat a Piece of Dark Chocolate Every Day . I know it’s not everyone’s favorite, and to be honest it can be an acquired taste. I didn’t like it years ago, either. But if you get 70% or higher, you’re giving yourself a mini-health boost with vitamins and minerals like copper, manganese, zinc, potassium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, selenium, calcium, and almost all the B vitamins. From CHOCOLATE! And an added bonus, your kids probably aren’t going to want it because it’s not a...

THE WELLNESS INDUSTRY IS EXHAUSTING. IT'S YOUR HEALTH & YOUR RULES - EVERYONE ELSE CAN TAKE A SEAT!

I’m probably going to get some backlash from this, but my give a cares are pretty much gone at this point in my life. I check social media platforms pretty frequently to see what topics are trending in health and wellness. I feel like it’s not only important for me to keep up with my formal continuing education but to also see what people are thinking outside of a course or a classroom. To say we have problems in this country, and as a society, would be an understatement. We have huge SYSTEMIC issues around healthcare, wellness, disease management and prevention, weight loss, etc. The list is utterly exhausting. Every person has their own ideas and opinions on what health and wellness look like to them. It might mean the absence of disease (ex. heart disease) or no chronic health concerns (ex. high blood pressure). It might mean a certain number on the scale, the range of your biometric markers (blood pressure, cholesterol levels, blood sugar levels), or your ratio of body fat to ...

ARE YOU ACTIVELY TRYING TO IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH? Or Are You Simply Trying to Hang On?

This is the question I asked myself this week as I cried over going to a school event for my daughter. She’s a senior this year and I am already struggling with my “baby” about to fly the nest. But the truth is, I wasn’t crying for sentimental reasons. I’m embarrassed to admit it, but I was crying because I didn’t want to go . I felt obligated to go and support her because it’s her senior year and that’s what I’m supposed to do as her mother, but honestly, I’ve been feeling the burnout for WEEKS now. I didn’t want to go and socialize. I didn’t want to interact with people. And I LIKE people. We’re incredibly fortunate to live in a supportive and active community with people who are very nice and get along. Most of the time. (Let’s be real – everyone has their moments.) But 99% of the time our little town works together and supports one another and they are ESPECIALLY encouraging to the kids. So, there I was, crying and trying to hide it from my daughter and husband because...