Skip to main content

QUICK WINS FOR HEALTH

(THIS IS ALSO CROSS-POSTED ON SUBSTACK)


I don’t know about y’all, but I cannot BELIEVE summer is more than halfway over. In fact, where we live, school will be starting again in less than a month!

Most of the moms I know tend to fall into three categories:

The ones who LOVE the Summer with their kids. The fun, the craftiness, all the “adventures” they have, and dread school starting again in the Fall;

The ones who LOVE when school starts back up for the stability and the regular routine it provides;

And the ones who are a mixture of both – they enjoy certain parts of the summer (not having to wake up so early, some of the activities and vacations, etc.), but they also look forward to getting back into a regular routine and not having to hear, “Mom! I’m BORED!” 500 times a day!

This warp-speed passing of summer also means you might have let time get away from YOU, and haven’t been able to put as much energy or focus on your own health goals as you would’ve liked.

So, I thought I would go ahead and throw out FIVE IDEAS to help you get a few “WINS” under your belt before the insane Back-to-School rush begins and you’re caught up in the chaos again.

  1. Drink Green Tea. If you don’t already, it has amazing anti-inflammatory properties, helps speed up your metabolism, protects cells from free-radical damage, regulates blood sugar levels, protects heart health, and may even help prevent certain cancers (although more research is needed). Iced green tea for hot summer days is a winner all around.
  2. Dance! How often do you put on a few of your favorite songs and just let go?! Did you used to hang out with your friends as a teenager during the summers and dance? Maybe it’s time to dust off some of your teenage favs and dance your little heart out. For the cardio, for the mood boost, for the stress relief, and for the fun.
  3. Grab a few Extra Fruits and Veggies When They’re On Sale. Summer is the best time to grab some extras vegetables and fruits your family enjoys and prep them. If you’re already getting a couple of zucchini, buy a few more, cut them up, and freeze them for a couple of months down the road when life has gotten more hectic and you need a quick meal to throw together.
  4. Actually Meditate. Like, put on a 3-5 minute meditation video or podcast and legitimately meditate. I’m phrasing it like that because I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve told myself I’m going to meditate only to get distracted, lose focus, get bored, or straight up doze off. And while there’s nothing wrong with that, it would be helpful for my stress management, deeper breathing, improved focus, improved mood, and better regulated nervous system which helps balance hormone levels (a VERY simplified version of why you want to eat when you’re stressed because of spikes in certain hormone levels).
  5. Stretch. If you’ve read any of my health coaching posts or articles, you know I am a HUGE proponent of stretching for health. Why? For starters, I don’t do nearly enough of it myself. Second, as a massage therapist for years, I can’t begin to tell you how many of my clients would have saved themselves a lot of aches and pains, and done their overall health a WORLD of good, simply by stretching a little bit every day. So, if you’re looking for another quick, easy “win” to push yourself in a healthier direction, stretching is a good one to try.


These five wins will give your health and wellness a bump, they don’t require a lot of extra time or effort on your part, and they have the ability to actually make a MEANINGFUL IMPACT on your health!

Summer seems to fly by quicker every year. I know my own health goals and plans slipped through the cracks as each week passed, and I told myself, “There’s still plenty of time. I’ll get started next week.”

Well, now our summer is almost over and I’m personally feeling like I let myself down. So, for the next few weeks we have left (and even into the Fall), I’m going to take the time each day to get a few “wins” under my belt and build my momentum.

I’m going to make it easy, and I’m going to make it FUN!


www.thehiddenpoweroffood.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT TO DO WHEN CREATING HEALTHY HABITS BECOMES A CHALLENGE

As you’re working on your health, wellness, or nutrition journey, you’re going to face daily challenges. It happens. Obstacles. Setbacks. Faltering Motivation. Resistance. It’s frustrating to hit a roadblock. But hopefully some of the tips compiled here will help you navigate around these challenges and continue on your way to a healthier you. Focus on Your Behaviors, Not Your Outcomes .  I know I’ve talked about this before, but it’s actually a critical step of creating healthy habits. Outcomes vary. If you’re trying to lose 10 pounds, but the scale hasn’t moved past 5 pounds, it’s easy to get caught up in the number on the scale and fail to give yourself credit for the habits you’re creating like riding your bike 4 times per week, cooking healthier meals at home, and losing inches from around your waist. It’s important to praise and celebrate each habit you do, rather than only giving yourself credit when you hit a certain milestone, like the number on the scale. Take a...

A BUSY MOMS CAUTIONARY TALE: SPORTS MOM EDITION

I had a conversation with a friend the other day, and it got my brain stuck on this topic, so I thought I’d write it out today. I’ve always had kids who were into sports. From the time my sons were 4 years old (and they just graduated from college), until now with my daughter in her senior year of high school. A large majority of my friends also have kids in sports. Recently, our coaches have been talking to the players, as well as their parents, about nutrition. The players are running out of fuel for their bodies long before their events have ended. The result has been kids getting quite sick in one way or another during or immediately after their event. The majority of the issues are coming from a lack of proper nutrition and a lack of hydration. The coaches are taking it all VERY seriously, and have taken a lot of steps to help remedy this situation. The conversation with my friend brought up this point (which is the one that stuck with me), as we were discussing how much ...

NAMING THE PROBLEM

I love working with clients. I love walking them through the process of their health concerns, what their goals are, and how those goals can be achieved. But there is inevitably a glitch in the process where clients get stuck. For me, as well, when I’m working on my own personal goals. They hit a point where they feel like they’ve stalled in their progress. Or they feel like they don’t know where to start. Or how to navigate through an issue. And when these obstacles happen, the secret ingredient that health coaches use to help clients through these barriers is to Name The Problem . In my own personal experience, I have a tendency to get overwhelmed when I’ve made a goal too big. I get sucked into the vastness of the “forest” and I struggle to recognize the individual “trees” around me. For example, let’s say you’ve set a goal to “ Eat Healthier” . That is a very broad goal, and it could cover hundreds (if not thousands) of options. But you’ve made some changes that work for yo...