Skip to main content

QUICK WINS WEDNESDAY

While we may not have all the time in the world with back-to-school creeping in, last minute vacations before summer is officially gone, and dealing with the ridiculous end of summer heat (at least where we’re located), as Busy Moms we still have daily opportunities to get Quick Wins for our health and wellness that don’t require an entire rearranging of our lives to get them.

So, here’s my list of five Quick Wins you can implement TODAY with little to no extra effort or going out of your way to make them happen.

Eat a Piece of Dark Chocolate Every Day. I know it’s not everyone’s favorite, and to be honest it can be an acquired taste. I didn’t like it years ago, either. But if you get 70% or higher, you’re giving yourself a mini-health boost with vitamins and minerals like copper, manganese, zinc, potassium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, selenium, calcium, and almost all the B vitamins. From CHOCOLATE! And an added bonus, your kids probably aren’t going to want it because it’s not as sweet as milk chocolate so you can have it all to yourself! It’s also really easy to stir it into a Greek Yogurt parfait, or add it to Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal.

Do Counter, Stair, or Wall Push-Ups. Again, not the most earth-shattering fitness tactic, but when you’re pressed for time, have kids hanging off your legs, or you’re just plain exhausted, this is a super quick and it really feels like a victory amidst the chaos.

Listen to a Sleep Meditation or Music. I know it sounds silly, but I’m telling you, I’ve actually been getting better sleep (which is hit or miss because of Perimenopause) when I play one of these at night. If you already do this, keep it up! If not, maybe give it a try. I was skeptical, but it usually knocks me out fairly quickly. I may not STAY asleep (again, perimenopause sucks), but it’s helped me fall asleep faster than anything else I’ve tried in a long time.

Drink Your Water. It’s trite. It’s cliché. You’ve heard it a million times. I know. I have too. But….it DOES bear repeating. Drink your water. Especially in the summer heat. You’re dehydrated whether you know it or not. And this is an extra tip – take it or leave it – but add a flavor packet to make it more bearable if you really don’t like drinking water. Again, I KNOW this is controversial and other health professionals may raise heck over me “promoting” it, but if adding a single flavor packet will get you to drink an extra 20oz of water, I’ll take it.

Try Box Breathing. The technique is breathe IN for 4 seconds, HOLD for 4 seconds, breathe OUT for 4 seconds, HOLD for 4 seconds….and repeat the pattern to reduce your stress and anxiety. It helps you relax, it really does help with your stress, it soothes your nervous system (a real thing that involves a lot of hormones and neuroreceptors between your sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system), and it helps you focus when the brain fog is strong. It works any time, anywhere, and doesn’t require rolling out a mat, changing clothes, or contorting your body into pretzel-like positions (just a joke! I’m working on yoga myself!).


Those are my five Quick Wins for this week
. Again, not earth-shattering stuff, but during the hectic times when you feel like your health goals aren’t being met, or you’re struggling to keep up, these little wins can boost your confidence and give you that sense of accomplishment and celebration you need to keep going strong!


www.thehiddenpoweroffood.com 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT TO DO WHEN CREATING HEALTHY HABITS BECOMES A CHALLENGE

As you’re working on your health, wellness, or nutrition journey, you’re going to face daily challenges. It happens. Obstacles. Setbacks. Faltering Motivation. Resistance. It’s frustrating to hit a roadblock. But hopefully some of the tips compiled here will help you navigate around these challenges and continue on your way to a healthier you. Focus on Your Behaviors, Not Your Outcomes .  I know I’ve talked about this before, but it’s actually a critical step of creating healthy habits. Outcomes vary. If you’re trying to lose 10 pounds, but the scale hasn’t moved past 5 pounds, it’s easy to get caught up in the number on the scale and fail to give yourself credit for the habits you’re creating like riding your bike 4 times per week, cooking healthier meals at home, and losing inches from around your waist. It’s important to praise and celebrate each habit you do, rather than only giving yourself credit when you hit a certain milestone, like the number on the scale. Take a...

A BUSY MOMS CAUTIONARY TALE: SPORTS MOM EDITION

I had a conversation with a friend the other day, and it got my brain stuck on this topic, so I thought I’d write it out today. I’ve always had kids who were into sports. From the time my sons were 4 years old (and they just graduated from college), until now with my daughter in her senior year of high school. A large majority of my friends also have kids in sports. Recently, our coaches have been talking to the players, as well as their parents, about nutrition. The players are running out of fuel for their bodies long before their events have ended. The result has been kids getting quite sick in one way or another during or immediately after their event. The majority of the issues are coming from a lack of proper nutrition and a lack of hydration. The coaches are taking it all VERY seriously, and have taken a lot of steps to help remedy this situation. The conversation with my friend brought up this point (which is the one that stuck with me), as we were discussing how much ...

NAMING THE PROBLEM

I love working with clients. I love walking them through the process of their health concerns, what their goals are, and how those goals can be achieved. But there is inevitably a glitch in the process where clients get stuck. For me, as well, when I’m working on my own personal goals. They hit a point where they feel like they’ve stalled in their progress. Or they feel like they don’t know where to start. Or how to navigate through an issue. And when these obstacles happen, the secret ingredient that health coaches use to help clients through these barriers is to Name The Problem . In my own personal experience, I have a tendency to get overwhelmed when I’ve made a goal too big. I get sucked into the vastness of the “forest” and I struggle to recognize the individual “trees” around me. For example, let’s say you’ve set a goal to “ Eat Healthier” . That is a very broad goal, and it could cover hundreds (if not thousands) of options. But you’ve made some changes that work for yo...