Skip to main content

YOU'RE PLAYING IN A STACKED GAME

I don’t know how many of you have ever been to Las Vegas, but there’s a saying that, “The House always wins,” when referring to gambling.

As I was taking a walk last night, the thought that we’re “playing” in a rigged system kept popping in my head. We’re constantly surrounded by nutrient-poor food options (fast food and ultra-processed foods); we have chaotic schedules that make it hard to cook nutrient-dense meals or find time for physical activity; we live in spaces that make it more difficult to have movement as a natural part of our days (more driving, long commutes, less walking on average, etc.); and we have financial, environmental, cultural, or social constraints that make it harder to focus on our health, wellness, or weight loss.

As Busy Moms, it seems like we’re always trying to play by The House rules, but they always have the edge. The casinos are DESIGNED to give The House the edge.

And I kept asking myself, “How do we win against that? As a Busy Mom myself, and as a health coach, how do I and the other Busy Moms I’m trying to help, WIN against The House (the current world/situation we live in that seems designed to feed us nutrient-poor foods and keep us sedentary)?”

Then it hit me.

We have to BECOME THE HOUSE.

We can flip the script, stop playing inside the rigged system, and become The House ourselves.

Now, I’m not gonna lie, after the thought, “Become The House,” my next thought was, “Seriously?! That’s just more WORK for me to do!”

But the more I let the idea percolate, the more I realized, no, it’s really NOT more work.

I came home and did some research on HOW The House has the edge.

First, The House understands the odds and makes sure that the mathematical advantage to every game is shifted in their favor.

Second, The House controls the environment in which you play. No clocks or windows. Comfy surroundings. Free drinks. Using every tactic to keep you in the casino as long as possible so you’ll keep playing (and eventually losing).

Third, The House plays the long game. Again, it comes down to the math. Odds are in the short-term, you’ll win a little – a $50 hit on a slot, a round or two of blackjack. But eventually, the longer you play, the more likely you are to start losing money, or at least giving what you WON in the short-term back to the casino.

So, basically, casinos are using Math, Environment, and Time to their advantage to keep you playing in Their House longer (indefinitely).

Yeah. We can TOTALLY Become The House!


For starters, just like Gamblers Anonymous, the first step is admitting you have a problem. The “problem” is thinking you have to keep playing in the first place. Or playing by their rules (the diet industry/diet culture). You don’t. You now get to make your own rules for how you want to approach your health, wellness, or weight loss. You get to try as many ideas as you want! You get to pick what works with your lifestyle, your schedule, your tastes and preferences, and you get to make it completely your own.

Next, you need to know your odds….or the Math. What’s your starting point? How far do you walk or how much physical activity do you get each day? How many fruits and veggies are you eating each day? How much protein and fiber? What are your biometric numbers (blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, etc.)? How much sleep are you getting every night? How much water are you drinking each day? How do you manage your stress?

One-size-fits-all plans, programs, and routines may not work for you. For example, “The House” says get anywhere from 30-60 minutes of moderate intensity exercise each day. Okay. Well, maybe for YOU, it needs to be broken up into 15-minute chunks throughout your day – morning, lunchtime, after work, and just before bed. Or you need to get extra protein by having a zero-sugar protein shake with your morning coffee for that caffeine/protein power boost.

Now, It’s Time to Control Your Environment. I’m gonna preach on this one a little bit, because I think it’s an underrated tool that not enough Busy Moms utilize. I find it especially important when it comes to making healthier food choices (keeping oatmeal crème pies out of the house or bananas in plain sight). I also try to wear nice, COMFY clothes and shoes I can WALK in especially when we’re going somewhere I can get extra steps (ex. Mini-Me’s travel basketball games).

I know those might not seem like much, but things like keeping workout clothes and walking shoes ready to go, keeping foods that you KNOW trigger you to overeat out of the house, or having foods you LOVE prepped and ready for delicious and healthy options are simple ways to make your environment work for you. If The House can do it, so can you!

And finally, just like The House, you’re in it for the Long Game. Those quick, short-term wins are important! And they feel great! (As they should.) But if you want to beat The House at their own game – BECOME THE HOUSE – you’ve got to think long-term.

Consistency.

Give yourself every advantage, just like The House does. It might be all shining lights, whirling colors, and a symphony of sounds, but at the heart of it all is a mission, a purpose and a plan. There is specific, strategic design to every aspect of the casino. You can make it fun! You can keep it exciting! You can boogie-oogie-oogie ‘til you just can’t boogie no more! But behind the fun, the excitement, and the boogie-ing is the long-term strategy you’re developing and implementing to win.

You don’t have to waste your energy playing someone else’s game anymore. By Becoming The House, you get to make the rules, set the tone, and design your health and wellness gameplan.

Why are you trying to play craps when your strength is poker? Why are you pushing for kale salad when you don’t like kale? Or salad?

What if you focus on health instead of weight (knowing that there will be body composition changes that go along with it), or strength over a number on the scale?

Become The House. Make your rules for your health your way!


www.thehiddenpoweroffood.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT TO DO WHEN CREATING HEALTHY HABITS BECOMES A CHALLENGE

As you’re working on your health, wellness, or nutrition journey, you’re going to face daily challenges. It happens. Obstacles. Setbacks. Faltering Motivation. Resistance. It’s frustrating to hit a roadblock. But hopefully some of the tips compiled here will help you navigate around these challenges and continue on your way to a healthier you. Focus on Your Behaviors, Not Your Outcomes .  I know I’ve talked about this before, but it’s actually a critical step of creating healthy habits. Outcomes vary. If you’re trying to lose 10 pounds, but the scale hasn’t moved past 5 pounds, it’s easy to get caught up in the number on the scale and fail to give yourself credit for the habits you’re creating like riding your bike 4 times per week, cooking healthier meals at home, and losing inches from around your waist. It’s important to praise and celebrate each habit you do, rather than only giving yourself credit when you hit a certain milestone, like the number on the scale. Take a...

A BUSY MOMS CAUTIONARY TALE: SPORTS MOM EDITION

I had a conversation with a friend the other day, and it got my brain stuck on this topic, so I thought I’d write it out today. I’ve always had kids who were into sports. From the time my sons were 4 years old (and they just graduated from college), until now with my daughter in her senior year of high school. A large majority of my friends also have kids in sports. Recently, our coaches have been talking to the players, as well as their parents, about nutrition. The players are running out of fuel for their bodies long before their events have ended. The result has been kids getting quite sick in one way or another during or immediately after their event. The majority of the issues are coming from a lack of proper nutrition and a lack of hydration. The coaches are taking it all VERY seriously, and have taken a lot of steps to help remedy this situation. The conversation with my friend brought up this point (which is the one that stuck with me), as we were discussing how much ...

NAMING THE PROBLEM

I love working with clients. I love walking them through the process of their health concerns, what their goals are, and how those goals can be achieved. But there is inevitably a glitch in the process where clients get stuck. For me, as well, when I’m working on my own personal goals. They hit a point where they feel like they’ve stalled in their progress. Or they feel like they don’t know where to start. Or how to navigate through an issue. And when these obstacles happen, the secret ingredient that health coaches use to help clients through these barriers is to Name The Problem . In my own personal experience, I have a tendency to get overwhelmed when I’ve made a goal too big. I get sucked into the vastness of the “forest” and I struggle to recognize the individual “trees” around me. For example, let’s say you’ve set a goal to “ Eat Healthier” . That is a very broad goal, and it could cover hundreds (if not thousands) of options. But you’ve made some changes that work for yo...