Skip to main content

IT'S BEEN A HOT MINUTE....

Long time, no post.

 

It’s been a while since I was able to write a post. Between the holidays, being sick, family being sick, and all the things, getting a post put together just wasn’t at the top of my list.

Now that things are settling back into a more normal routine for us, it’s giving me time to think and evaluate.

What do I want? What are my goals? What am I trying to accomplish?

These are the questions we seem to ask every new year.

But for me, these are more than just “resolution” questions. I gave up on the idea of New Years resolutions years ago, to be honest. I never accomplished them, forgot about them within a couple of months, and they were honestly the same things over and over anyway – lose weight, get organized, exercise more, eat better, etc.

But I still believe in setting goals. I still believe in checking in with myself on what I’m trying to accomplish. I still believe in action steps leading to reaching my goals.

I’m just working on how to go about doing that. When faced with a crazy year full of ups and downs, it can be hard to focus and reach your goals.

That’s a big reason why health coaching not only focuses on the physical aspects, but also the mental and emotional. You can’t set a goal, but not create a plan. You can’t create a plan, and then not check in on how that plan is working. You can’t check in, but not have action steps, work arounds for obstacles, support and accountability, and the mental and emotional help as well.

All of these factors will determine success or failure. Sheer grit and willpower only take you so far, but those eventually run out, and having a cohesive plan of action will take you so much further.

So, if I have a “resolution” for this year, it is to work on my health coaching plan to help me with my follow-thru, regardless of the ups and downs life will throw at me this year. And I fully believe there will be MANY ups and downs in this coming year.

Having my plan is the first step to reaching my goals.

What's your first step?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT TO DO WHEN CREATING HEALTHY HABITS BECOMES A CHALLENGE

As you’re working on your health, wellness, or nutrition journey, you’re going to face daily challenges. It happens. Obstacles. Setbacks. Faltering Motivation. Resistance. It’s frustrating to hit a roadblock. But hopefully some of the tips compiled here will help you navigate around these challenges and continue on your way to a healthier you. Focus on Your Behaviors, Not Your Outcomes .  I know I’ve talked about this before, but it’s actually a critical step of creating healthy habits. Outcomes vary. If you’re trying to lose 10 pounds, but the scale hasn’t moved past 5 pounds, it’s easy to get caught up in the number on the scale and fail to give yourself credit for the habits you’re creating like riding your bike 4 times per week, cooking healthier meals at home, and losing inches from around your waist. It’s important to praise and celebrate each habit you do, rather than only giving yourself credit when you hit a certain milestone, like the number on the scale. Take a...

NAMING THE PROBLEM

I love working with clients. I love walking them through the process of their health concerns, what their goals are, and how those goals can be achieved. But there is inevitably a glitch in the process where clients get stuck. For me, as well, when I’m working on my own personal goals. They hit a point where they feel like they’ve stalled in their progress. Or they feel like they don’t know where to start. Or how to navigate through an issue. And when these obstacles happen, the secret ingredient that health coaches use to help clients through these barriers is to Name The Problem . In my own personal experience, I have a tendency to get overwhelmed when I’ve made a goal too big. I get sucked into the vastness of the “forest” and I struggle to recognize the individual “trees” around me. For example, let’s say you’ve set a goal to “ Eat Healthier” . That is a very broad goal, and it could cover hundreds (if not thousands) of options. But you’ve made some changes that work for yo...

THE PRINCIPLES OF GOOD NUTRITION

What is good for you? What’s not? Should you eat red meat? Should you avoid it? What about pasta? Or even gluten, for that matter? Sugar? A cupcake has sugar in it….but so does a banana. When it comes to healthy eating and nutrition, we all want direct and specific answers. I know I do. But the reality is, there is still a LOT about nutrition we don’t know. Studies have been conducted over the last hundred or so years, but then a new study comes along and overturns the previous information (think margarine and trans-fats). But there are still 5 generally accepted principles of nutrition that most members of the scientific community agree on. Calories In vs Calories Out Determines What You Will Weigh .  There are MANY factors that determine exactly HOW those calories are going to work in your body: appetite, food consumed, psychological factors like stress and sleep, how calories are absorbed; along with calories burned at rest, during exercise, while digesting food, and a...